Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Word For Our Times: Bonus Blog, God will Take Care of You





GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU



I don't remember the why, but during a troubling day of my current illness, before a worse day that came, God brought to mind a song I hadn't thought about in a long time.

Not only did it come to mind, but I remembered it was a favorite in the little old Wesleyan Chruch in Grand Island, Nebraska and at the camp meeting east of Atkinson.




But the real surprise was, as it formed in my mind, I could suddenly see my mother singing this song as a special in church. I could actually recall it in her voice. An amazing experience.

Then, when I wrote this week's blog and was so disappointed that I could not give a thought of pure hope, God brought the song back to me and with it this idea of a bonus blog. I am so glad he did.




This song was created in 1904 by
Civilla D. Martin 
with music by W. Stillman Martin 

I want to first present it to you  in the wonderful voice of Mahalia Jackson, a versus that inspired my mother to sing it often as a solo.



Since Ms. Jackson does not present all of the verses,  here is the whole hymn:


God Will Take Care of You
Text: Civilla D. Martin
Music: W. Stillman Martin
Tune: MARTIN, Meter: CM with Refrain


1.      Be not dismayed whate'er betide,
        God will take care of you;
        beneath his wings of love abide,
        God will take care of you.

Refrain:
        God will take care of you,
        through every day, o'er all the way;
        he will take care of you,
        God will take care of you.

2.      Through days of toil when heart doth fail,
        God will take care of you;
        when dangers fierce your path assail,
        God will take care of you.
        (Refrain)

3.      All you may need he will provide,
        God will take care of you;
        nothing you ask will be denied,
        God will take care of you.
        (Refrain)

4.      No matter what may be the test,
        God will take care of you;
        lean, weary one, upon his breast,
        God will take care of you.
        (Refrain)


From out of the needs of India comes a complete recording of this message. Born in poverty and rejection, it sounds more like the singing I remember from my childhood among people also not by any means rich and certainly Where few attained to a middle class lifestyle.



Now if you are not sure what this means practically then here is a modern soft version of the same message - not the hymn - fleshed out for the eyes of today.




photo credits:
Weather the Storm by source unknown
Heaven and Hell by lightntheglas @photobucket.com
Dorothy Mae Cole Anson by her family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy